The Academy of Medical Sciences was established in 1998 following the recommendations of a working group chaired by Sir Michael Atiyah OM FRS PRSE HonFREng FMedSci.
Our establishment brought together biomedical scientists and clinical academics within a single national organisation with the express purpose of promoting the translation of advances in medical science into benefits for patients and the population at large.
The formation of the Academy has been documented in ‘First steps: a personal account of the formation of the Academy of Medical Sciences’ by founder President, Professor Sir Peter Lachmann.
Since our formation we have elected a Fellowship of over 1000 leading medical scientists and scholars from hospitals, academia, industry and the public service.
During our first decade, we have become an integrated, national resource, outside the framework of Government, with the expertise and authority to deal with public policy issues in healthcare in their wide scientific and societal context.
In November 2008 we celebrated our 10th Anniversary with a special dinner held at the Wellcome Trust.
Following a merger with the Novartis Foundation in 2008, the Academy took over the lease on 41 Portland Place. In October 2010 the building opened as the headquarters of the Academy of Medical Sciences and a central London conference venue providing period and modern rooms for events and meetings.