The Nominations Committee provides an overview of the processes by which members of the Academy’s key governance committees are identified.
The Nominations Committee is appointed annually by Council for a one year term. The Nominations Committee is responsible for:
- Oversight of the nomination, interview and recommendation to Council of candidates for Honorary Officer roles.
- Advising Council on the strength of candidates presented.
- Ensuring continuity and an orderly process for the rotation of Honorary Officers.
- Oversight of the annual Council election, including communicating to Fellows particular skills and experience being sought in new Council members.
- Reviewing the composition of Council (including skills, knowledge , experience and diversity) and to advise on the selection and appointment of co-opted members of Council as considered necessary to balance its composition and address gaps.
- Receiving suggestions and considering individuals nominated for Honorary Fellowship of the Academy and making recommendations to Officers and Council.
- Helping identify candidates for all roles to address issues of balance, equality, diversity and inclusion as befitting of a modern, progressive Academy.
Full details regarding the responsibilities and remit of the Nominations Committee are set out in Section 21 of the Academy Regulations (available to download on the side of this page).
Nominations Committee membership 2023
Professor Dame Anne Johnson DBE PMedSci (Chair)
Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, University College London
Professor Mandy MacLean MBE FRSE FMedSci
Professor of Pulmonary Pharmacology, University of Strathclyde
Professor Danny McAuley FMedSci
Professor and Consultant in Intensive Care Medicine, Queen's University of Belfast
Professor James Naismith FRS FRSE FMedSci
Director, Rosalind Franklin Institute and Professor of Strcutural Biology, University of Oxford
Professor Jeremy Pearson MBE FMedSci
Emeritus Professor of Vascular Biology, King’s College London and former Associate Medical Director, British Heart Foundation
Professor Tom Solomon CBE FMedSci
Professor of Neurology and Director, NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Emerging and Zoomotic Infections, University of Liverpool
Professor Ijeoma Uchegbu FMedSci
Professor of Pharmaceutical Nanoscience, University College London
Professor Paula Williamson FMedSci
Professor of Medical Statistics, University of Liverpool