The Nominations Committee provides an overview of the processes by which members of the Academy’s key governance committees are identified.
The Nominations Committee is appointed annually by Council for a one year term. The Nominations Committee is responsible for:
- Oversight of the nomination, interview and recommendation to Council of candidates for Honorary Officer roles.
- Advising Council on the strength of candidates presented.
- Ensuring continuity and an orderly process for the rotation of Honorary Officers.
- Oversight of the annual Council election, including communicating to Fellows particular skills and experience being sought in new Council members.
- Reviewing the composition of Council (including skills, knowledge , experience and diversity) and to advise on the selection and appointment of co-opted members of Council as considered necessary to balance its composition and address gaps.
- Receiving suggestions and considering individuals nominated for Honorary Fellowship of the Academy and making recommendations to Officers and Council.
- Helping identify candidates for all roles to address issues of balance, equality, diversity and inclusion as befitting of a modern, progressive Academy.
Full details regarding the responsibilities and remit of the Nominations Committee are set out in Section 21 of the Academy Regulations (available to download on the side of this page).
Nominations Committee membership (2022)
Professor Dame Anne Johnson DBE PMedSci (Chair)
Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, University College London
Professor Dame Jessica Corner FMedSci
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Exchange, University of Nottingham
Professor Paul Stewart FMedSci
Dean of Medicine and Faculty Dean Medicine and Health, University of Leeds
Professor Ed Bullmore FMedSci
Professor of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge
Professor Julia Buckingham CBE FMedSci
Chair, Institute of Cancer Research London
Professor Mandy MacLean MBE FRSE FMedSci
Professor of Pulmonary Pharmacology, University of Strathclyde
Professor David Webb FMedSci
Christison Professor of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, University of Edinburgh
Professor Paula Williamson FMedSci
Professor of Medical Statistics, University of Liverpool