The Novartis Foundation, and its predecessor the Ciba foundation, had a distinguished history in the promotion of international discussion of biomedicine.
The Foundation was best known for its scientific symposia, which were held at the Foundation’s headquarters at 41 Portland Place.
From 1947-2008, thousands of scientists attended meetings at 41 Portland Place, including 84 Nobel Laureates. These prestigious symposia were published as reports.
A full catalogue of all Novartis (Ciba) Foundation publications can be accessed through the Wiley Online Library. Archives of all Novartis Foundation publications are also held by the British Library and the Academy of Medical Sciences.
The Novartis Foundation closed in 2008, following the Trustees’ decision to merge with the Academy of Medical Sciences. In October 2010, 41 Portland Place re-opened as the headquarters of the Academy of Medical Sciences and a central London conference venue providing period and modern rooms for events and meetings.