Our vision is good health for all supported by the best research and evidence.
The Academy’s mission is to help create an open and progressive research sector to improve the health of people everywhere.
- We support researchers with innovative funding and career development opportunities
- We help create a more sustainable environment for delivering outstanding research
- We help researchers to work with academia, the public, policymakers and industry to make the greatest difference to health
Our strategic priorities
1. Improve lives
2. Strengthen research
3. Support researchers
4. Work globally
5. Build resources
Read more about our President's thoughts on the strategy in her blog, and about the strategy development process from our Executive Director.
- We strive for excellence
- We act on evidence
- We behave with integrity
- We collaborate widely
- We are inclusive and actively seek diversity in all forms
We are agile, kind and resilient.
We are the independent, expert voice of biomedical and health research in the UK.
- A Fellowship of the most influential scientists in the UK and worldwide
- An inspiring community of emerging and established research leaders
- Connections across the science sector including National Academies, charities and industry
- A vibrant and growing network of European and global partnerships and collaborations
- An ability to influence policy by connecting the insights of our Fellowship, researchers, patients and the public
- The meaningful involvement of patients and the public to shape our work
- A talented and committed staff team who embody our values
Our overall impact will be our success in creating a more open and progressive UK research sector that is improving the health of everyone everywhere.
- An Academy Fellowship and alumni network that is more reflective of the society we live in and that includes a broader diversity of thought, expertise, and backgrounds
- Our increased contribution to, and influence on, policy and practice that will drive the greatest health gains for society
- Meaningfully involving patients and the public across all our activities and in the way we work
- Collaborations that reflect the breadth of expertise across the medical sciences, our partners in health and social care, and the range of other disciplines relevant to health
- Increasing support for researchers to develop the skills and expertise needed to be research leaders of the future
- Ways of working that demonstrate agility, innovation, efficiency and environmental sustainability
Please support us to create an open, progressive and diverse medical research community that is able to address the most pressing, unanswered questions facing medical science.
We are most grateful to all the donors and funders who support our work, especially members of the Helix group members who give £250 a year to support us.
Donate now to join our supporters and help secure our vision for 2032.