This is the Academy of Medical Sciences career support space for biomedical and health researchers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We know that virtually all researchers will have been affected by the pandemic in some shape or form, sometimes at critical points in your careers. A large number of you paused your research work, some returned to full time clinical duty and others redirected your research efforts to COVID-19 related activity. Many of you have faced challenges combining caring responsibilities with work.
The Academy would like to offer support from a number of different angles; we are working in the careers policy space to assess the full impact, and ran a workshop for funders, charities, Fellows and early career researchers. You can read more in our article COVID and careers: what does the future hold? and the workshop report can be found here.
We have also convened an Advisory Group, chaired by Professor Paul Stewart FMedSci, to develop pages for this support space on a range of topics that are emerging as the pandemic develops. Hear Professor Stewart’s thoughts on the issues facing early career researchers and hopes for future change:
Alongside our initial resources below, we are adding new videos, materials and links as time goes on, including on the importance of mentoring at this time. We are also delivering a number of virtual events on related topics to enable all researchers to connect with others and discuss challenges they are facing in navigating careers at this time.
Find out more
The Academy held a policy workshop on 15 July, to explore the impacts of COVID-19 on medical research careers in the medium-longer term and identify potential mitigations and opportunities to support researchers in future. Please see the full report and further information here.
For more information on policy and other projects we are involved with during this time please visit our COVID-19 information hub.
For more information if you are applying for, or currently hold, an Academy grant please read our Q&A for applicants and award holders.
For more information on work we are doing to support clinical academics during COVID-19 please read our joint statements on Supporting clinical academic trainees through ongoing COVID-19 disruption (8 October 2020), Progressing UK clinical academic training in 2020: Addressing the challenges of COVID-19 (1 June 2020) and Clinical Academics and COVID-19 (19 March 2020).
We'd love to hear about what techniques and resources you're finding particularly helpful. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on social media:
- Dr Nisreen Alwan, Associate Professor in Public Health, University of Southampton
- Dr Shoba Amarnath, Research Fellow, Newcastle University
- Dr Daniel Horton, Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Virology, University of Surrey
- Professor Mandy MacLean MBE FRSE FMedSci, Professor of Pulmonary Pharmacology, University of Strathclyde
- Dr Kinan Muhammed, Clinical Lecturer in Neurology, University of Oxford
- Dr Virginia Newcombe, Clinician Scientist Fellow, University of Cambridge
- Professor Jane Norman FMedSci, Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Bristol
- Professor Philippa Saunders FRSE FMedSci, Director of Postgraduate Research for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Paul Stewart FMedSci (chair), Dean of Medicine, University of Leeds
- Dr Jean-Paul Vincent FRS FMedSci, Senior Group Leader, the Francis Crick Institute