Are you interested in helping people talk about death and dying?
Please note: the deadline for applications has now passed. For more information about the project and other ways to be involved, please visit this page.
We are looking for enthusiastic and sensitive researchers, science communicators, healthcare professionals and others to take part in The Departure Lounge. This is an innovative public engagement space in Lewisham Shopping Centre, London, in May 2019.
- Time commitment: 2-3 days plus 1 day of compulsory training
- Payment: London Living Wage (£10.55/hour) plus reasonable expenses
- Deadline: 6pm, Sunday 10 March 2019
If chosen, you'll act as a Guide over two or three days to share your expertise and encourage visitors to have conversations about how the aging population might impact on what it means to have a 'good death' and the role of medical science in achieving this.
We invite applications from a wide range of people.
If you are a medical researcher, a hospice volunteer, a science communicator, a person with experience helping others talk about death, or someone else altogether, we'd like to hear from you.
If you're a researcher, we're looking for people from across disciplines, not just those working in the areas related to death and dying. Through The Departure Lounge, you will gain the chance to connect your research directly with members of the public, which we hope will inspire both you and our visitors.
Following training and preparation, Guides will be present in our free pop-up exhibition, The Departure Lounge, in south London for two or more days in May/June 2019.
Guides will receive:
- A full day of training from public engagement professionals including Dr Steve Cross, Ipsos MORI, The Liminal Space and more.
- The chance to share your own professional perspectives and experiences with death, dying and palliative care.
- The chance to meet people of all ages and diverse ethnic backgrounds and empower them to understand the choices available in the ‘journey’ towards death through medical research.
- Opportunities to learn about public engagement and dialogue, and how this connects to policy work.
- £10.55 an hour (the London Living Wage) for all time spent in The Departure Lounge.
- Reasonable UK travel expenses paid. (Please note we cannot provide support for international travel.)
- Support with accommodation expenses if based outside London.
In our selection process, we will actively seek to ensure that our Guides are diverse in terms of gender, ethnicity, geography and areas of expertise.
Deadline: 6pm, Sunday 10 March 2019
If you have any questions about the application process or about being a Guide, please contact Holly Rogers, firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 3141 3209.