The Academy’s Annual Fellows’ Meeting took place on Thursday 8 December and included the AGM, the annual Jean Shanks Lecture and the admission of Lord David Willetts as an Honorary Fellow in a ceremony before the Annual Fellows' Dinner.
This year's AGM was attended by over 60 Fellows. Presentations were given by the President, Treasurer and Executive Director.
Formal items of business were as follows:
1. The minutes of the Annual General Meeting on 3 December 2015 were approved.
2. It was agreed to invite the following individuals to become Honorary Fellows of the Academy:
- Dr Xeutao Cao, President, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
- Dr Victor Dzau, President, US National Academy of Medicine
- Dame Stephanie Shirley, Founder and Chair, The Shirley Foundation
3. The results of the 2016 Council elections were announced. We are pleased to confirm that the following Fellows will be joining the Academy Council in 2017:
- Professor Ed Bullmore FMedSci, University of Cambridge
- Professor Elizabeth Fisher FMedSci, University College London
- Professor Paul Stewart FMedSci, University of Leeds
- Professor Sir Doug Turnbull FMedSci, Newcastle University
4. The resolution for the Academy to petition for a Royal Charter was approved and the secretariat authorised to initiate the petition process.
5. The audited accounts for 2015/16 were agreed and new auditors, PKF Littlejohn, were appointed for 2016/17.
6. Fellows’ subscription rates were agreed for 2017/18.
Following the AGM, the President shared findings from the recent survey exploring external perceptions of the Academy and introduced a showcase of activities initiated in response. Presentations were given as follows:
- Supporting newly independent biomedical scientists to launch their research careers: Professor Martin Humphries FMedSci, Vice President, Academy of Medical Sciences
- Reflecting the diversity of medical science: Professor Jane Norman FMedSci, Academy Diversity Champion and Dr Alessia David, SUSTAIN participant
- Increasing our international reach: Professor Majid Ezzati FMedSci, member of the Academy’s working group on ‘Addressing the global challenge of multimorbidity’, with an introduction by the Academy’s Foreign Secretary, Professor George Griffin FMedSci.
The afternoon finished with the 2016 Jean Shanks Lecture, `The fragility and flexibility of the social brain’, presented this year by Professor Uta Frith DBE FRS FBA FMedSci, Emeritus Professor of Cognitive Development, University College London.
Filmed footage of the Lecture will soon be available to view on the Academy’s YouTube channel.
At a ceremony before dinner, Lord David Willetts was formally admitted to the Academy as an Honorary Fellow. His citation was delivered by Sir Mark Walport FRS FMedSci, Chief Scientific Adviser. The Annual Dinner was attended by approximately 100 Fellows and guests.
Photos from the day will be available shortly.