09.00, Thursday 03 September 2020
The Academy of Medical Sciences and the Nigerian Academy of Science are convening a virtual policy workshop on ‘Understanding the context of health coverage in Nigeria and progress towards effective Universal Health Coverage’.
The second day of this event, 3 September 2020, 9:00-13:00 UK time, will be livestreamed and available to view via the Academy's website and Youtube channel.
To register and receive details for the livestreamed session, please use the booking form on the right hand side of this page.
The workshop, co-chaired by Professor Mike English FMedSci, Principal Invesitgator, KEMRI, Wellcome, Kenya; Profossor of International Child Health, Oxford University, and Professor Friday Okonofua, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Reproductive Health, University of Benin, Nigeria, will look to explore the vision for UHC in Nigeria and the strategies, systems and collaborations required to embed this vision. It will look to engage with multi-sector policymakers and researchers from Nigeria, the African region, and the UK, amongst others, to support the implementation of this agenda and ensure that health policies are evidence-based.
To do so, are aims are to:
- Provide a platform for experts to reach a consensus on the vision for UHC in Nigeria.
- Bring together evidence on what progress has been made to achieving UHC in Nigeria.
- Identify tools and innovation that could accelerate progress to embed and scale-up effective UHC.
- Identify shared research challenges and barriers to achieving quality UHC.
- Provide a platform for multi-disciplinary experts to share their UHC and research experiences, challenges and successes to allow learning from one another.
- Agree on a list of research priorities and solutions to overcome the identified barriers which can be addressed at country level.
- Impact policy uptake, specifically through the use of science and investment in research and research leadership.
Further information on this event can be found on our dedicated policy page.