16.30, Wednesday 11 September 2019
Lecture Theatre (ground floor), Hadyn Ellis Building, Cardiff
Cardiff University, Maindy Road, Cardiff CF24 4HQ
We are delighted to invite Fellows and researchers in Wales and the South West to an evening of discussion and networking in Cardiff.
Hosted by the Academy's Regional Champion for Wales, Professor Julie Williams CBE FMedSci, this is a opportunity for Fellows, colleagues and local contacts to join an evening of informal discussion to hear more about the Academy's work, the Fellowship and to promote awareness of how researchers can benefit from Academy programmes.
4:30 onwards - Arrival
5:00pm-7:00pm - Talks and discussion
Introduction – Professor Julie Williams CBE FMedSci
Overview of the Academy – Professor Philippa Saunders FRSE FMedSci
Talks from local researchers involved with the Academy
Q&A – speakers answer questions from the audience
7.00pm - 9.30pm - Networking reception with cheese and wine
Professor Williams will be joined by Academy Registrar Professor Philippa Saunders who will be offering insight into Academy programmes and the Fellowship election. We will also be joined by current and former Academy grant awardees, mentees and programme participants to hear about how they have benefitted from engagement with the Academy. Together they will share advice on what the Academy can do for researchers. Following the talks, drinks and informal refreshments will be available so that guests have a chance to meet colleagues from across and beyond the region.
This event is free. Fellows are most welcome to invite along colleagues who are interesed in finding out more about the Academy Fellowship or who might benefit from involvement with our schemes.
The speakers involved with the Academy, from our governing body to our grants and career support schemes are:
- Dr Yi Jin, Research Fellow in Chemical Biology, Cardiff University - Academy Springboard Awardee and mentee
- Dr Kathryn Peall, Clinical Lecturer and Specialist Registrar in Neurology, Cardiff University - Academy Starter Grant awardee and mentee
- Dr Soma Meran, Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Nephrologist - Academy SUSTAIN participant and mentee
- Dr Rebecca Sims, Research Fellow at the MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Cardiff University – Academy FLIER (Future Leaders in Innovation, Enterprise and Research) participant
- Professor Sir Michael Owen FMedSci, Director of the MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics - Fellow and former Council Member
Please book in advance via this page to allow us to estimate catering numbers.