Harren Jhoti is President and CEO of Astex Therapeutics, a small biotech he co-founded and where he has been a pioneer of new approaches to structure-guided drug discovery. Here he first demonstrated the power of fragment-based approaches using X-ray crystallography to make new medicines. Dr Jhoti designed and developed a vibrant fragment discovery platform from which multiple small molecule drug candidates were generated, validating this new approach and helping it gain acceptance within industry and academia, including seminal research publications. Several of these drug candidates in development continue to be progressed by pharmaceutical partners, such as Novartis and AstraZeneca, and have shown clinical benefit in cancer patients.
FellowBack to directory listing
Dr Harren Jhoti FRS FMedSci
President and CEO
Drug discovery, structural biology, oncology, fragment-based drug discovery.
Section committee elected by
Physics, chemistry, biochemistry, structural biology, mathematics, informatics and engineering applied to biomedicine
- about 14 hours ago To remain a global leader in clinical research the field must receive enough funding. Yet as late as 2000, the plan… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 19 hours ago RT @lolaeyedoc: Our congenital #cataract paper, with findings from a national #cohort study, supported by #NHS #Ophthalmologists and affect…
- about 20 hours ago "In my experience, changing jobs is a good way to rack up visibility, otherwise people start to take you for grante… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 1 day ago What's the value of medical research? Today, we're reflecting on our work on investment in science… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 1 day ago RT @AdamSharpMedOnc: What @eileen_parkes said 👇. Excellent funding stream from @acmedsci. Opportunity to obtain funds to generate prelimina…