Harren Jhoti is President and CEO of Astex Therapeutics, a small biotech he co-founded and where he has been a pioneer of new approaches to structure-guided drug discovery. Here he first demonstrated the power of fragment-based approaches using X-ray crystallography to make new medicines. Dr Jhoti designed and developed a vibrant fragment discovery platform from which multiple small molecule drug candidates were generated, validating this new approach and helping it gain acceptance within industry and academia, including seminal research publications. Several of these drug candidates in development continue to be progressed by pharmaceutical partners, such as Novartis and AstraZeneca, and have shown clinical benefit in cancer patients.
FellowBack to directory listing
Dr Harren Jhoti FRS FMedSci
President and CEO
Drug discovery, structural biology, oncology, fragment-based drug discovery.
Section committee elected by
Physics, chemistry, biochemistry, structural biology, mathematics, informatics and engineering applied to biomedicine
- about 3 hours ago "Choral singing has added a unique dimension to my medical academic career and continues to enrich my life..."… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 7 hours ago Applications are open for the Foulkes Foundation Medal, which looks to recognise rising stars in biomedical researc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 10 hours ago It's always great to see the @royalsociety new Fellows and we're delighted that this year 11 of them are Fellows of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 14 hours ago When less is more - how can we help patients avoid unnecessary treatment? Read about the work of Dame Lesley Fallow… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 1 day ago Discover key milestones in how organisations have worked together to shape the career pathway for clinical academic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…