Dame Janet Thornton is Director of the European Bioinformatics Institute and is a world leader in bioinformatics. She has contributed significantly to medical science by increasing our fundamental understanding of the structure of proteins and how they contribute to disease and ageing. The tools and databases she has developed are used worldwide for basic research, in academia and also in pharmaceutical companies. As Director of the EBI, she has been responsible for strategic developments related to the impact of the life sciences data on medical science. She is actively pursuing the challenge of how to join up biological and medical data in the UK and building tools which will facilitate the exploitation of these data for research and in the clinic.
FellowBack to directory listing
Professor Dame Janet Thornton DBE FRS FMedSci
Senior Scientist & Director Emeritus
European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Computational biologist, specialising in understanding (1) protein structure, function and evolution. (2) biological and biomedical data and ageing.
Section committee elected by
Physics, chemistry, biochemistry, structural biology, mathematics, informatics and engineering applied to biomedicine
- about 7 hours ago "What are we waiting for? We should be developing these treatments and we should be stomping out childhood blindnes… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 12 hours ago "Our first child was due in March but arrived in December. All of our plans – to buy a house, to start my research… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 16 hours ago Our one-to-one mentoring programme provides post-doctoral biomedical and health researchers with career development… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 19 hours ago "It's becoming harder & harder for one research group to have the skills needed to solve complex problems. By far t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- about 1 day ago Conference season is coming - check out top tips from graphic designers, illustrators and judges about how to make… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…