The Academy seeks to engage with the EU policy process and inform decisions that affect UK medical research and the ability to collaborate across Member States.
We regularly work in partnership on these activities, including with European National Academies and our European network, the Federation of European Academies of Medicine (FEAM).
Some of our recent work has included:
- Ongoing activities around the future of the UK's research relationship with the European Union.
- Responding to consultions from the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, on EU regulation of the life sciences, and the House of Lords Science and Technology Committee, on UK science and membership of the EU.
- Influencing the development of EU legislation, including the Data Protection Regulation, Clinical Trials Regulation and, Medical Devices Regulation.
- Supporting FEAM as the new Science Advisory Mechanism is established, part of which draws on the expertise of National Academies across Europe.
- Engaging with European Citizen’s Initiatives, including the recent Stop Vivisection campaign relating to the use of animals for scientific purposes.