We hold Career Development events across the country for pre- and post-doctoral researchers in biomedicine and health, to give practical skills and the chance to network with colleagues.
The events also offer clinical academic early career researchers help in navigating the clinical academic training pathway and developing a research career. The events are typically chaired by a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences and include research presentations, skills workshops, careers talks and networking opportunities.
Career Development events focus on the current landscape for early career researchers in the UK, and are themed around current opportunities and challenges of relevance to biomedical and health researchers. Some Career Development events are produced in response to the Academy of Medical Sciences’ policy or communications work, where we address the impact of their findings for early career researchers.
Please note that all in-person Academy events and meetings are now postponed or cancelled for the foreseeable future. Where possible we will move events and meetings to take place on digital platforms. For up-to-date NHS information on coronavirus, please visit their website.
Upcoming Career Development events
11 November 2020: Where to draw the line: this virtual event will focus on work/life balance and perfectionism in academia.
10 December 2020: Coping With Uncertainty: this virtual event will explore uncertainty, mental wellbeing and how we can look out for one another.
Past Career Development events
- 11 December 2019: Good Academic Citizenship. Chair: Professor Jane Norman FMedSci.
- 11 September 2019: Thriving in a multi-disciplinary research team. Chair: Professor Christine Harrison FMedSci.
- 11 April 2019: Remaining Resilient in Research. Chair: Professor Janet Lord FMedSci.
- 9 October 2018, Liverpool: Standing up for Standing Out. Chair: Professor Susan Wray FMedSci.
- 8 June 2018, Southampton: Building your career in a research team. Chair: Professor Stephen Holgate CBE FMedSci.
- 2 May 2018, London: Succeeding in Team Science. Chair: Professor George Davey Smith FMedSci. This event was followed up by this blog post on research reproducibility.
- 14 March 2018, Manchester: How to enhance the impact of your research. Chair: Professor Dame Nicky Cullum DBE FMedSci